I remember the first time I had baba ganoush. I was at a friend’s house for dinner and she served it as an appetizer. I had no idea what it was, but it looked interesting so I decided to give it a try. It was delicious! The eggplant dip was creamy and flavorful, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
- 1 to 2 globe eggplants (totaling 2 pounds or 900g)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons roasted tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (more or less depending on how garlicky you want your baba ghanoush to be), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F or grill.
- Poke eggplants in a few places with a fork, then brush lightly with olive oil.
- Grill or roast eggplants until very tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop eggplant flesh into a large bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Combine mashed eggplant with garlic, remaining olive oil, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Mash well until desired consistency is achieved – smooth but still retaining some of the eggplant’s texture.
- Season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper as needed; top with fresh chopped parsley before serving chilled or at room temperature alongside pita bread, crackers or toast points, celery or cucumber slices.
What is baba ganoush and what are its main ingredients?
Baba ghanoush is a Levantine appetizer consisting of finely chopped roasted eggplant, olive oil, lemon juice. The main ingredients in baba ganoush are eggplant, tahini, garlic, olive oil and salt.
Baba Ganoush has a smoky and creamy flavor that is delicious when spread on bread or crackers. It is also a healthy dip as it is low in calories and fat.
Is eggplant hummus the same as baba ganoush, or are there differences between the two dips?
Eggplant hummus and baba ganoush are both dips made from eggplant. However, there are some differences between the two. The primary difference is the ingredients they use; eggplant for the former and chickpeas for the latter. This means that eggplant hummus will be smoother and creamier than baba ganoush, which can have a more chunky texture.
The flavors of each dip can also help to identify which one you are having. Eggplant hummus will typically have more savory notes, while baba ganoush may have sweeter or smokier flavors depending on how it is prepared.
How do you make baba ganoush, and what dishes is it typically served with?
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut an eggplant in half lengthwise, then score the flesh of each half in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife.
- Place the eggplant halves on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper, then drizzle them with olive oil.
- Roast the eggplant for 30-35 minutes, or until it is soft and cooked through.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven, and allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling further.
- scoop out the flesh of the roasted eggplants into a bowl, discarding the skin (or reserve it for another use).
- To make Baba Ganoush: add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste into bowl containing roasted eggplant pulp from step 6; mix all ingredients together until smooth using either an immersion blender OR regular countertop blender – scraping down sides as needed.; If desired consistency is not yet achieved after blending all ingredients thoroughly by hand using whisk OR electric mixer set at low speed – add 1-2 tablespoons of water (OR more olive oil) and continue mixing until desired consistency is reached.; Taste mixture and adjust seasoning as necessary – adding more salt, acid (lemon juice), or tahini/olive oil if needed.; Transfer dip to serving dish big enough so that there is ½ -inch border around circumference of dish.
Is baba ganoush healthy? are there any health benefits associated with eating eggplant dip?
Yes, baba ganoush is healthy. Eggplant, the main ingredient in baba ganoush, is low in calories and carbohydrates and high in fiber. Additionally, eggplant is a good source of vitamins and minerals like potassium and vitamin K.