I have been a vegetarian for almost ten years now and have been experimenting with different types of recipes to get my daily dose of protein.
One of my favorite recipes is the Black Bean Burgers. They are incredibly easy to make, packed with nutrients, and most importantly, delicious!
After years of perfecting my own recipe, I can confidently say that these burgers are restaurant-quality and even the pickiest of eaters will love them.
Black Bean Burgers Recipe
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegan bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 large hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly mashed.
- Add eggs, bread crumbs, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, hickory-flavored barbecue sauce, nutritional yeast, salt, olive oil, taco seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, chili sauce, and vegetable oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the patties in the hot oil for 5 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vegan bacon bits, relish, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture onto the bottom of the buns.
- Place a patty onto each bun, top with a slice of cheese, and cover with the top bun.
- Place the burgers back into the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the burgers hot. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 burger
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.7 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Sodium: 596 mg
- Fiber: 5.5 g
Creative ways to prepare black bean burgers
Black bean burgers are a delicious and nutritious plant-based alternative to traditional beef burgers. They are a great way to get added protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while still enjoying the taste and texture of a burger. There are many creative ways to prepare black bean burgers so you can enjoy them in new and exciting ways.
One great way to prepare black bean burgers is to use them as the base for a stacked burger. Layer your black bean patty with your favorite vegetables and condiments, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and avocado. Top with a slice of cheese, if desired, and enjoy a delicious and nutritious burger. You can also use a black bean patty as the base for a veggie wrap. Layer the patty with your favorite vegetables and condiments, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and avocado. Roll everything up in a wrap of your choosing, such as a tortilla or flatbread, and enjoy a tasty and nutritious wrap.
Another creative way to prepare black bean burgers is to top them with a flavorful sauce. Try topping your patty with a savory teriyaki glaze or a spicy BBQ sauce. You can also add some crunch to your burger by topping it with crumbled tortilla chips or a crunchy slaw. The possibilities are endless!
Black bean burgers can also be used to make a delicious and nutritious meal. Try making a black bean burger bowl. Start with a bed of lettuce or spinach, then top with a black bean patty, your favorite vegetables, and your favorite condiments. Finally, top with a creamy dressing or salsa. You can also use a black bean patty as the base for a burrito bowl. Layer your patty with your favorite vegetables and condiments, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and avocado. Top with a creamy dressing or salsa, and enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal.
No matter how you choose to prepare your black bean burgers, you are sure to enjoy a nutritious and delicious meal. Try out these creative ways to prepare black bean burgers and experience the endless possibilities.
Comparing black bean burgers to other types of burgers
Comparing black bean burgers to other types of burgers reveals some distinct advantages and disadvantages. Black bean burgers are made from mashed black beans, spices, and vegetables, making them a vegetarian and vegan-friendly alternative to traditional hamburgers. Compared to other kinds of burgers, black bean burgers offer a more complex flavor, a higher nutritional content, and the ability to be prepared in a variety of ways.
Advantages of Black Bean Burgers
Black bean burgers have many advantages over other types of burgers. One of the main advantages is the flavor. Because they are made with a combination of black beans, spices, and vegetables, black bean burgers are more complex and flavorful than hamburgers. They also contain a higher nutritional content than other burgers, as they are rich in protein, fiber, and vitamins. Furthermore, black bean burgers can be prepared in a variety of ways, allowing for a greater range of creativity in the kitchen.
Disadvantages of Black Bean Burgers
The main disadvantage of black bean burgers is that they can be more difficult to prepare than other types of burgers. The beans need to be cooked and mashed, and then blended with the spices and vegetables. This process can be time consuming and requires more effort than simply grilling a hamburger. Additionally, black bean burgers may not be as hearty or filling as some other kinds of burgers.
Overall, black bean burgers offer a unique flavor, a higher nutritional content, and the ability to be creative with the preparation. However, they can be more difficult to prepare than other types of burgers and may not be as hearty or filling. Ultimately, the decision to choose between black bean burgers and other types of burgers should be based on personal preference.
Benefits of eating black bean burgers
Eating black bean burgers provides numerous health benefits, including:
- A plant-based source of protein: Black bean burgers are packed with protein, making them a great alternative to traditional beef burgers. Protein helps build and repair body tissues, and can help people feel fuller for longer.
- Fiber-rich: Black beans are high in fiber, which can help with digestion and maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Fiber can also help reduce cholesterol and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Low in saturated fats: Unlike beef burgers, black bean burgers are virtually free of saturated fats, which can raise cholesterol levels and increase the risk of heart disease.
- High in vitamins and minerals: Black bean burgers are a great source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, folate, zinc, and magnesium. These nutrients help support the body’s functions and can improve overall health.
- Versatility: Black bean burgers can be prepared in a variety of ways, making them a delicious and nutritious meal option. They can be served on a bun, in a wrap, or in a salad, allowing for creativity and flexibility in meal planning.
Health benefits of eating black bean burgers
The health benefits of eating black bean burgers are numerous. These meatless burgers are an excellent source of plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Additionally, black bean burgers are low in fat and can be a great option for those wanting to make healthier food choices. Here are some of the health benefits of eating black bean burgers:
- High in Plant-Based Protein: Black bean burgers are a great source of plant-based protein, providing around 11-13 grams of protein per patty. This makes them a great option for those looking to increase their protein intake without consuming animal products.
- Rich in Fiber: Fiber is essential for healthy digestion and can help reduce the risk of developing certain diseases. Black bean burgers are an excellent source of dietary fiber, providing around 7-8 grams per patty.
- Low in Fat: Black bean burgers are a great option for those looking to reduce their fat intake. They contain around 4-5 grams of fat per patty, making them a much healthier choice than traditional beef burgers.
- Packed with Vitamins and Minerals: Black bean burgers are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, iron, and calcium. Furthermore, they are also a good source of B vitamins, which are essential for a healthy metabolic system.
- Versatile and Delicious: Black bean burgers are a great option for those looking to experiment with different flavors and recipes. They can be served in a bun, topped with vegetables, or enjoyed in a wrap. They are also incredibly delicious and can be enjoyed as a vegan meal or as part of a traditional burger.
Eating black bean burgers is an excellent way to get the benefits of a meat-free burger without compromising on taste or nutrition. By opting for black bean burgers, you can enjoy all the health benefits listed above and still enjoy a tasty meal.
Tips for making the perfect black bean burgers
Tips for Making the Perfect Black Bean Burgers:
- Start by soaking dried black beans overnight. This helps them to cook more evenly and helps to prevent them from falling apart during cooking.
- Drain the black beans and then mash them with a fork or potato masher. This will help to create an even consistency.
- Add any desired seasonings, such as garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Form the mixture into patties and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will help them to hold together better when cooked.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brush lightly with oil. Add the black bean burgers and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Serve the black bean burgers on a bun with desired toppings.