Bourbon-Soaked Cherry Crisp
This is a recipe for a delicious and easy-to-make cherry crisp that’s perfect for any occasion. The best part about this dish is that it can be made ahead of time, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
Bourbon Cherry Crisp
- 1 1/2 pounds (4 1/2 cups) (710g) fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 3/4 cup (157g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (29g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (81g) quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (100g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 11 tablespoons (156 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, divided 1 / 4cup (21 g) sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, and bourbon. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is evenly combined. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In the same bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract and butter pieces. Use your fingers or a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over cherry mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and crisp and filling is bubbly around edges of pan. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Serving size: 1/12 of recipe (1.6 ounces)
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 7 grams
- Saturated fat: 3 grams
- Unsaturated fat: 4 grams
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 15 milligrams
- Sodium: 170 milligrams
- Potassium: 80 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 27 grams
- Fiber 2 grams
- Sugar 14 grams
- Protein 2 grams
What is in a bourbon cherry crisp?
A bourbon cherry crisp typically has a bourbon-infused cherry filling with a brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal streusel topping. Toasted almonds are often added for crunch, and vanilla ice cream is recommended as a contrast to the warm filling.
So what exactly makes up this delicious dessert? The key ingredient, of course, is cherries. For the filling, you’ll need fresh or frozen cherries, sugar, cornstarch, bourbon, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. The topping is traditionally made with oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, cold butter, and toasted almonds. And don’t forget the vanilla ice cream!
While there are many variations of this dish out there (some even using pie crust instead of streusel), we think the combination of flavorful ingredients listed above is hard to beat.
How do you make a bourbon cherry crisp?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup of pitted and halved cherries with 2 tablespoons of bourbon. Set this mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cut in 4 tablespoons of cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans.
- Spread the cherry mixture evenly into an 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cherries.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and bubbly. Let crisp cool slightly before serving warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Why is bourbon cherry crisp a popular dessert?
One of the reasons why bourbon cherry crisp is so popular is that it’s incredibly easy to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients and you can have this delicious dish on the table in no time. Another reason for its popularity may be the fact that it uses fresh cherries, which are in season during the summer months. The addition of bourbon gives it a unique flavor that sets it apart from other fruit crisps.