This is my go-to recipe for a hearty, comforting soup. It’s packed with flavor from the chipotle peppers, and the chicken and corn give it a nice texture.
Chipotle Chicken Chowder
6 to 8 servings
- 2 ears sweet corn or 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 (about 3 pounds) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more as needed
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced 4 chipotle peppers (from one 7-ounce can chipotles in adobo) 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from one 7-ounce can chipotles in adobo) 2 quarts chicken stock 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes 3/4 cup half and half Sour cream, for serving (optional) Cilantro leaves or thinly sliced scallion
- If using fresh corn, shuck it and remove all the silk. Cut the kernels off the cob, being careful not to cut too deeply and damage the cob. You should have about 2 cups of corn. Reserve the cobs for flavoring the chowder later.
- Place chicken thighs on a large plate or platter and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper evenly.
- Set a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over high heat and add canola oil Once oil begins to shimmer, place chicken in an even layer in pan Sear chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown, cook in batches if they don’t fit without overlapping Transfer seared chicken onto plate when done cooking through.
- In same Dutch oven set over medium heat, add prepared corn, poblano peppers, and onion Sauté 7-9 minutes until vegetables softened.
- If mixture looks dry while sautéing , drizzle more canola oil as needed Meanwhile use food processor or immersion blender to blitz 4 chipotles and adobo sauce for 30 seconds ,until smooth.
- Another option would be to finely dice.
What are the key ingredients in chipotle chicken chowder?
The key ingredients in Chipotle Chicken Chowder are corn, poblano peppers and tomatoes. These three ingredients work together to create a flavorful and hearty soup that is perfect for a winter day.
Corn is the star of this soup, providing both sweetness and texture. Poblano peppers give the soup a slight spiciness, while the tomatoes add acidity and balance out the flavors. Together, these three ingredients create a delicious and comforting soup.
How can i make chipotle chicken chowder at home?
In order to make Chipotle Chicken Chowder at home, you will need to melt butter in a large skillet and saute onion, garlic, bell peppers, and chipotle chili until the veggies are tender. Then, add flour and cook for two minutes. Next, stir in chicken stock, chicken breast chunks, onion powder, and cumin. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Finally, garnish with cilantro cheese and lime before serving.
Why is chipotle chicken chowder so popular?
The chipotle chicken chowder at Chipotle is popular for many reasons. First, it is a delicious, creamy soup with just the right amount of spice from the chipotle peppers. The fresh corn and potatoes add a nice contrast in texture and flavor, and you can adjust the level of spice to your taste. Additionally, this chowder is hearty and filling, making it a great option for lunch or dinner. Plus, it’s easy to customize – you can add your favorite toppings or leave out anything you don’t like. All of these factors contribute to why the chipotle chicken chowder is one of the most popular items on the menu at Chipotle.