I love Crab Rangoon! They’re my favorite appetizer to order when I’m out at a Chinese restaurant. But, I have to admit, they’re not always the healthiest choice. So, I was excited to find this recipe for a healthier version that you can make at home.
These Crab Rangoon are made with wonton wrappers, which are filled with a mixture of crabmeat, cream cheese, and green onions. They’re then baked in the oven until crispy.
5 to 7 servings
- 30 square wonton wrappers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces lump crab meat or imitation crab
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Nonstick spray, for the air fryer
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, crab meat, scallions, soy sauce, and pepper flakes.
- Place wonton wrappers on a work surface. Put 1 teaspoon of the crab mixture in the center of each wrapper. Fold the wrappers over the filling, forming triangles. Press the edges to seal.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the rangoons on it. Spray them lightly with nonstick spray as well (this helps them brown).
- Air-fry for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or soy sauce mixed with sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.
Is there crab meat in crab rangoon?
No, there is no crab meat in crab rangoon. It is usually made with surimi, also called “krab,” which is an imitation crab product.
What is the difference between crab wonton and crab rangoon?
What is the difference between crab wonton and crab rangoon? Both dishes are traditionally made with crab meat, but there are some key differences. Crab wonton is a Chinese dish that is often boiled, while crab rangoon is a deep fried dumpling from South Asia. Crab rangoon usually has a filling of crabmeat and cream cheese, while the filling for crab wonton can vary. While both dishes are delicious, they offer different textures and flavors that make them unique.
Why is it called crab rangoon?
Crab Rangoon is a dish that was invented in the restaurant Trader Vic’s. The dish is named after the restaurant, and it is made with crab meat and rangoons.
What is the shell of a crab rangoon made out of?
The shell of a crab rangoon is made out of flour, water, and egg. This combination forms a light and airy dough that can be easily fried to create the perfect vessel for holding the savory filling. While some recipes call for adding additional seasonings to the dough, this is not necessary as the fillings will provide all of the flavor you need.