I’ve always been a huge fan of homemade soup, and this Creamy Broccoli-Chicken Soup is one of my favorites. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it’s also packed with flavor and nutrition. The combination of the creamy, savory broth and the tender pieces of chicken and broccoli make for a comforting and delicious meal that’s sure to please everyone at the dinner table. Plus, you can customize it to your family’s preferences by adding other vegetables or herbs to the mix. Give this easy recipe a try and you’ll see why it’s one of my go-to’s for a cozy, comforting dinner.
Creamy Broccoli-Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1. ¼ cup butter
- 2. ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3. ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4. ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5. ¼ cup chopped onion
- 6. 1 ½ cups small broccoli florets
- 7. 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 8. ½ cup shredded carrot
- 9. 3 cups milk
- 10. 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 11. 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12. 1 ½ teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 13. 2 (6 ounce) packages Tyson® Grilled & Ready® Refrigerated Diced Chicken Breast
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour, basil, and pepper to the pan and stir until the mixture turns light brown.
- Add the onion, broccoli, mushrooms, and carrot to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in the milk and half-and-half and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken bouillon, and Tyson® Grilled & Ready® Refrigerated Diced Chicken Breast to the pan and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve the creamy broccoli-chicken soup hot. Enjoy!
- Servings: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 8g (10% DV) | Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV) | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 50mg (17% DV) | Sodium: 350mg (15% DV) | Total Carbohydrate: 15g (5% DV) | Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% DV) | Total Sugars: 3g | Protein: 19g | Vitamin D: 0mcg (0% DV) | Calcium: 120mg (9% DV) | Iron: 1.5mg (8% DV) | Potassium: 290mg (6% DV)
How can you make creamy broccoli-chicken soup healthier?
Making creamy broccoli-chicken soup healthier can be achieved by making a few simple modifications to the recipe. While the original cream-based recipe can be high in fat and calories, these modifications will make the soup more nutritious and flavorful.
The first step is to switch out the heavy cream for a healthier alternative. Instead, use non-fat milk, almond milk, or coconut milk for creaminess and added nutrition. You can also add in a non-dairy cream cheese or Greek yogurt for a thicker, creamier texture.
Another way to make this soup healthier is to swap out the white rice for a healthier grain such as quinoa, bulgur wheat, or brown rice. This will add more fiber, vitamins, and minerals to the soup.
You can also boost the nutrition of this soup by using more fresh vegetables, such as peas, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. These vegetables will add a variety of flavors and textures, as well as essential vitamins and minerals.
Finally, you can add a variety of herbs and spices to the soup to give it more flavor without adding extra calories. Parsley, oregano, cilantro, thyme, and rosemary are great additions.
By making these simple modifications, you can turn creamy broccoli-chicken soup into a healthier, more flavorful meal.
What are the best ways to add flavor to creamy broccoli-chicken soup?
Adding flavor to creamy broccoli-chicken soup can be done in a variety of ways, with the best methods utilizing herbs, spices, and other flavor-enhancing ingredients. Using fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and oregano will impart a delicious, earthy flavor. For a bit of heat, consider adding red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or chili powder. To add a bit of sweetness, you can add a tablespoon or two of honey or maple syrup. Finally, for a bit of acidity, try a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a teaspoon of white wine vinegar.
When adding herbs and spices, it’s best to start with small amounts and then adjust according to personal taste. It’s easy to go overboard and add too much, which can ruin the soup. Also, don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations. For example, try mixing thyme and oregano, or cayenne and chili powder.
In addition to herbs and spices, there are other ingredients you can use to add flavor to creamy broccoli-chicken soup. Consider adding a small amount of garlic or onion powder, or a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. You could also try adding a small amount of cream cheese or sour cream for a richer flavor. Finally, for a bit of umami, try adding a tablespoon of miso paste.
By adding the right herbs, spices, and other ingredients, creamy broccoli-chicken soup can be transformed from a bland dish into a flavorful, delicious meal. Experiment with different combinations to find the perfect flavor profile for your soup.
What are the benefits of eating broccoli-chicken soup?
Eating broccoli-chicken soup offers many benefits to your overall health.
- It can provide essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, iron, and magnesium.
- Broccoli-chicken soup is a low-calorie and nutrient-dense food, meaning it provides a good amount of essential nutrients while being low in calories.
- The combination of broccoli and chicken makes this soup a great source of protein and dietary fiber.
- Eating broccoli-chicken soup can improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and help to strengthen the immune system.
- It is also a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and can even help to curb cravings for unhealthy snacks.
- Broccoli-chicken soup is also a comforting and filling meal that can help to keep you full throughout the day.
- Eating this soup can be a great way to get your nutrition without having to spend hours in the kitchen preparing a meal.
In conclusion, the benefits of eating broccoli-chicken soup are numerous. It can provide essential vitamins and minerals, it is low in calories, and it can help to improve digestion and reduce inflammation. Additionally, it is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and can even help to curb cravings for unhealthy snacks. Eating this soup is a convenient and comforting way to get your nutrition while enjoying a delicious meal.
What are some creative alternatives to creamy broccoli-chicken soup?
If you’re looking for a creative alternative to creamy broccoli-chicken soup, there are a variety of delicious and filling recipes that you can use as a substitute. From creamy squash soup to chunky vegetable-bean chili, here are some creative alternatives to creamy broccoli-chicken soup that you can enjoy.
- Creamy Squash Soup: This creamy and comforting soup is perfect for a cool night. To make it, you’ll need butternut squash, leeks, onion, chicken broth, heavy cream, and nutmeg. Roast the butternut squash, sauté the leeks and onion, and add them to the broth. Simmer until the squash is tender, then puree the soup with an immersion blender. Add the cream and nutmeg, and you’re done.
- Chunky Vegetable-Bean Chili: This hearty and flavorful chili is packed with flavor and nutrition. Start by sautéing onions, garlic, and bell peppers in olive oil. Add black beans, diced tomatoes, and jalapeños, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add corn, chili powder, cumin, and oregano for extra flavor. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and diced avocado for a delicious and filling meal.
- Roasted Vegetable Soup: This soup is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Start by roasting onions, carrots, parsnips, and broccoli in olive oil. Add garlic and thyme, then simmer in vegetable stock for about 30 minutes. Add a splash of cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Curried Coconut-Ginger Soup: This soup is a great way to warm up on a cold night. Start by sautéing onion and garlic in coconut oil, then add diced carrots, potatoes, and ginger. Add the broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Stir in curry powder, coconut milk, and lime juice and simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve with a dollop of yogurt for a delicious and spicy soup.
These are just a few of the many creative alternatives to creamy broccoli-chicken soup that you can enjoy. Experiment with different ingredients and flavors to find the soup that’s perfect for you.
What are some healthy substitutions for creamy broccoli-chicken soup?
Healthy substitutions for creamy broccoli-chicken soup can include creamy cauliflower-chicken soup, creamy squash-chicken soup, and creamy sweet potato-chicken soup. All of these soups are made with healthy ingredients and can be equally as delicious as the classic broccoli-chicken soup.
Creamy Cauliflower-Chicken Soup
This soup is made with a creamy purée of cauliflower along with cooked chicken and vegetables. The vegetables can be whatever you like, such as carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. The soup is seasoned with herbs, spices, and a bit of butter or olive oil. This soup is a delicious and healthy alternative to creamy broccoli-chicken soup.
Creamy Squash-Chicken Soup
This soup is made with a creamy purée of squash along with cooked chicken and vegetables. The vegetables can be whatever you like, such as carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. The soup is seasoned with herbs, spices, and a bit of butter or olive oil. This soup is a delicious and healthy alternative to creamy broccoli-chicken soup.
Creamy Sweet Potato-Chicken Soup
This soup is made with a creamy purée of sweet potato along with cooked chicken and vegetables. The vegetables can be whatever you like, such as carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. The soup is seasoned with herbs, spices, and a bit of butter or olive oil. This soup is a delicious and healthy alternative to creamy broccoli-chicken soup.
These soups are all great options for a healthy alternative to creamy broccoli-chicken soup. They are all loaded with vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats and are sure to please your taste buds.