This is my go-to recipe for crispy air fryer tofu and it has never failed me! It’s super easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. The key to getting nice, crispy tofu is to press it before cooking. This helps to remove any excess moisture so that the tofu can really crisp up in the air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also use this recipe in a regular oven. Just bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
2 to 4 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, finely grated (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger, from a 1-inch piece
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch cooking spray Scallions and toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the drained tofu block on the prepared baking sheet. Using your hands, press down lightly on the tofu block to release any excess water. Allow the tofu to drain for 10 minutes while you prepare the marinade.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha or chili garlic sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, black pepper, and salt until well combined. Pour the marinade over the tofu and use your hands to coat evenly. Allow the tofu to marinate for at least 15 minutes (up to 1 hour if time allows).
- When ready to cook, remove the tofu from the marinade and discard any excess liquid . Place cornstarch in a shallow dish and dredge each piece of tofu in cornstarch until coated on all sides . Spray an air fryer basket lightly with cooking spray.
- Working in batches if necessary , add dredged tofu pieces to air fryer basket , spraying each batch lightly with additional cooking spray . Cook at 375°F (190°C) for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1 tofu piece
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 480 mg
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 8g
Does air fryer work for tofu?
If you’re looking for a crispy, delicious way to cook tofu, look no further than your air fryer. Tofu is a perfect candidate for air frying, as it soaks up all the flavor of whatever seasoning you use while getting nice and crisp on the outside. Plus, it’s a total cinch to make.
Simply toss your tofu cubes with some oil and your favorite seasonings, then place in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400F for 11-15 minutes, tossing halfway through. The tofu is ready when it’s crisp and browned around the edges. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce or as part of a delicious stir-fry or Buddha bowl.
Why won’t my tofu get crispy?
If you’re wondering why your tofu never seems to get crispy, there are a few things you can do to ensure better results. First, slow cook it for best results. Second, water is the enemy of crispiness, so make sure to press as much water out of the tofu as possible before cooking.
How do you air fry tofu in an air fryer?
- Start by pressing the tofu to remove excess water.
- Cut the tofu into cubes or slices, depending on your preference.
- Place the tofu in a single row in the air fryer basket, making sure that each piece has a little bit of space around it.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook for 10 minutes, shaking the basket after 5 minutes.
Can use medium firm tofu in air fryer?
Yes, you can use medium firm tofu in an air fryer. Just be sure to press it first to get rid of excess water. Cut the tofu into even pieces, season as desired, and then air fry at a high temperature until crispy. You may need to experiment a bit to find the perfect cooking time for your particular air fryer, but generally speaking, it should only take 10-15 minutes.