Cooking this Easy Black Beans and Tomatoes dish has become one of my favorite go-to meals whenever I’m looking for something quick and flavorful. It’s a complete meal that’s packed with savory flavor, and takes no time at all to make. I’m always amazed at how something so simple can turn out so delicious, and it’s become a favorite of mine to share with my friends and family.
Easy Black Beans And Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or more to taste
- 1 small lime, juiced (Optional)
- Begin by rinsing and draining the can of black beans.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the rinsed beans and the can of diced tomatoes.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Mix in the chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice, if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Ideas for how to incorporate black beans and tomatoes into different dishes.
Black beans and tomatoes are a classic combination that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some ideas for incorporating these two ingredients into different meals:
• Mexican dishes: Use black beans and tomatoes to create a delicious burrito or taco filling. You can also use them to make an enchilada sauce. For a lighter option, add them to a salad or quesadilla.
• Soup: Combine black beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and spices to make a hearty vegetable soup. Serve it with crusty bread or a side of tortilla chips.
• Stews: Simmer black beans, tomatoes, and your favorite vegetables in a slow cooker for a flavorful stew. Add garlic, spices, and herbs for extra flavor.
• Pasta: Make a quick and easy meal by adding black beans, tomatoes, and other vegetables to cooked pasta. Toss with a store-bought sauce for a nourishing dinner.
• Rice dishes: Use black beans and tomatoes as the base for a flavorful rice dish. Add onions, garlic, and your favorite spices for a tasty side dish.
No matter which recipe you choose, black beans and tomatoes make a great combination. With a little creativity, you can create a delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Benefits of adding black beans and tomatoes to a meal: high in fiber, rich in antioxidants, and full of flavor.
Adding black beans and tomatoes to a meal is a great way to get a number of health benefits, including increased fiber, antioxidant, and flavor. Here are some of the key benefits of including these ingredients:
- High in Fiber – Black beans contain a significant amount of dietary fiber, with one cup providing 15 grams of dietary fiber. This helps to keep the digestive system healthy and helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Rich in Antioxidants – Tomatoes are an excellent source of antioxidants, which can help to protect against a number of health issues. The lycopene in tomatoes helps to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Full of Flavor – Black beans and tomatoes are both extremely flavorful ingredients, making them a great addition to any meal. They can be used in a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to salads and sides.
By incorporating black beans and tomatoes into your meals, you can easily reap the benefits of increased fiber, antioxidants, and flavor.
Tips for how to select the best black beans and tomatoes for the recipe.
When selecting black beans and tomatoes for a recipe, there are a few key tips to keep in mind. Here are some tips to help you make the best selection:
- Check the freshness: Make sure to check the freshness of both the black beans and tomatoes before adding them to your recipe. Look for beans that are not cracked, with a glossy appearance. Tomatoes should be firm, plump, and free of any soft spots or blemishes.
- Choose the right type: Different types of black beans and tomatoes can vary in flavor and texture. Consider the dish you are making and the type of bean or tomato that would work best.
- Consider the ripeness: If you are using canned black beans, make sure to check for any added ingredients, like salt or preservatives. For tomatoes, look for those that are slightly under-ripe, as they tend to hold their shape better when cooked.
- Taste test: If possible, taste test the beans and tomatoes before using them in your recipe. This will help you determine the best selection for your dish.
Following these tips will help you to choose the best black beans and tomatoes for your recipe. With the right selection, you can ensure that your dish will be packed with flavor and have the best possible texture.
Health benefits of including black beans and tomatoes in a diet.
Including black beans and tomatoes in a diet can provide numerous health benefits.
- Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, containing 15 grams of protein per one-half cup serving. They also contain high levels of dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates and B vitamins. These nutrients are essential for maintaining a healthy metabolism and energy levels throughout the day.
- Tomatoes are a potent source of lycopene, which is an antioxidant that helps to protect the body against oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Lycopene is also believed to reduce the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer, such as prostate cancer.
- Additionally, black beans and tomatoes are both rich sources of folate, a B-vitamin that is necessary for cell growth and proper functioning of the nervous system. Folate helps to reduce the risk of neural tube defects during pregnancy, as well as protect against certain types of cancer.
- Finally, both black beans and tomatoes contain high levels of potassium, which is an essential mineral for proper muscle and nerve function. Eating a diet rich in potassium-rich foods can help to reduce the risk of stroke and high blood pressure.
Common methods of cooking with black beans and tomatoes.
Cooking with black beans and tomatoes is a great way to make a nutritious and delicious meal. Here are some of the most common methods for preparing this classic combination:
- Sautéing: Sautéing is a quick and easy way to cook black beans and tomatoes together. Start by heating some oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add some diced onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened. Then add in the black beans, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for a few minutes until the beans are heated through and the tomatoes are softened.
- Baking: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the black beans and diced tomatoes in an oven-safe dish and mix in some herbs and spices, such as oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Then, bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the beans are tender and the tomatoes are soft.
- Stewing: This is a great way to make a flavorful and comforting dish. Start by heating some oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add some diced onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened. Then add in the black beans and diced tomatoes, along with some broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender and the tomatoes are soft.
- Pressure Cooking: This is a great way to make a nutritious and flavorful meal in a short amount of time. Place the black beans, diced tomatoes, and water into a pressure cooker. Lock the lid in place and set the timer for 10 minutes. When the timer is done, release the pressure and stir in some herbs and spices. The beans and tomatoes will be perfectly cooked!
Cooking with black beans and tomatoes is a great way to make a healthy and delicious meal. With these common methods, you can easily create a variety of dishes that everyone will love.