My family and I are always looking for tasty and healthy meals to enjoy, and this Gluten-Free Broccoli and Cheese Soup is one of our favorite dishes! We have been making this delicious soup for years and it never fails to satisfy our cravings. It’s a simple recipe that is packed full of flavor and nutrients, making it perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Plus, it’s gluten-free so everyone in our family can enjoy it.
Gluten-Free Broccoli And Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 teaspoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 ½ heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the salted butter and allow it to melt.
- Add the sorghum flour to the pot and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the flour is lightly toasted.
- Pour in the chicken broth, almond milk, heavy cream, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all of the shredded cheese to the pot, stirring until it is melted and incorporated.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the gluten-free broccoli and cheese soup hot. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 cup (250mL)
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 9g
How can i make a vegan version of broccoli and cheese soup?
Making a vegan version of a classic broccoli and cheese soup might seem like an impossible task, but it’s actually quite simple! To make a vegan version of this comforting dish, all you need to do is make a few substitutions.
First, you’ll need to replace the dairy products used in a traditional recipe. For this vegan version, use vegetable broth and a vegan cheese alternative, such as a cashew-based cheese. For a creamy texture, try blending some cooked potatoes or cauliflower with the broth and cheese.
Next, you’ll want to replace the butter used in the recipe with a vegan alternative. Try using coconut oil or olive oil instead. You can also use vegan butter if you prefer.
Finally, you’ll want to replace the animal-based ingredients. Try using tempeh or tofu instead of the traditional chicken. You can also use mushrooms or beans to add protein.
Once your substitutions are in place, you’re ready to make your vegan version of broccoli and cheese soup. Start by sautéing the vegetables in the oil until they’re softened. Next, add the broth and vegan cheese, stirring until everything is combined. Finally, add the cooked tempeh or tofu and simmer until the soup is hot and creamy.
Making a vegan version of broccoli and cheese soup is easy and delicious! With just a few simple substitutions, you can enjoy this classic comfort food without the animal-based ingredients.
What are the health benefits of consuming broccoli?
- Understand the nutrition content of broccoli. Broccoli is a high-fiber vegetable, containing both soluble and insoluble fiber. It is also a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Learn the health benefits associated with consuming broccoli. Broccoli has been linked to a variety of health benefits, including improved digestive health, improved blood glucose control, and improved heart health.
- Consider adding broccoli to your diet. Eating broccoli can help you meet your daily fiber needs and provide essential nutrients to help keep your body healthy.
- Choose the right type of broccoli. Broccoli comes in different varieties, including fresh, frozen, and canned. Choose the type that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Prepare broccoli using healthy cooking methods. The best way to cook broccoli is to steam it. This helps to retain the nutrient content and flavor.
- Incorporate broccoli into your meals. Try adding steamed broccoli to soups, salads, and stir-fries. For a nutritious soup, try making gluten-free broccoli and cheese soup. This recipe combines the health benefits of broccoli with the creamy flavor of cheese for a delicious meal that is both nutritious and satisfying.
What alternatives can i use instead of cheese in a broccoli soup?
If you are looking for an alternative to cheese when making a delicious and healthy broccoli soup, you have many options. Whether you are avoiding dairy, are vegan, or simply want to try something new, these alternatives will bring a unique and flavorful twist to your soup.
One great option is nutritional yeast. This yellow, flaky condiment is a great source of B12 and adds a distinct cheesy flavor to dishes. You can sprinkle it on top of your soup or add it directly to the broth.
If you are looking for a creamier texture, you can use tahini. This sesame paste is a great source of healthy fats and adds a nutty flavor to your soup. You can also add coconut milk for a creamy, rich flavor.
For a subtle smoky flavor, try adding smoked paprika. This spice is also a great source of antioxidants and adds a unique and savory taste to your soup. You can also try adding a dash of garlic powder for an extra kick.
If you are looking for a cheese-like flavor but want to avoid dairy, you can use vegan cheese alternatives. There are a variety of vegan cheese options available that are made from plant-based ingredients like cashews and coconut.
No matter which alternative you choose, your broccoli soup will still be delicious and nutritious. With these alternatives, you can enjoy a delicious and gluten-free meal without sacrificing flavor.
What other vegetables can be used in place of broccoli in a soup?
When it comes to gluten-free soups, broccoli and cheese is a classic combination. But if you’re looking for something a little different, there are plenty of other vegetables that can be used in the place of broccoli.
Kale is one excellent alternative, as it has a slightly bitter and earthy flavor that pairs well with the creaminess of cheese. Another great option is cauliflower, which has a milder flavor than broccoli and is easy to find in most grocery stores.
Root vegetables are also great for adding texture and flavor to soups. Carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash are all excellent choices. They provide a subtle sweetness that can help balance out the richness of the cheese.
If you’re looking for something a bit more adventurous, there are some less common vegetables that can be used in place of broccoli. Brussels sprouts have a slightly spicy flavor that can add a kick to your soup. Bok choy has a mild flavor and crunchy texture that can take it to the next level.
No matter what type of vegetable you choose, make sure to cook it until it’s tender before adding it to the soup. This will ensure that you get the most flavor and texture out of your ingredients. With a little creativity, you can easily turn your traditional broccoli and cheese soup into something new and exciting.
What are the best gluten-free substitutes for wheat flour in a soup?
For those following a gluten-free diet, the idea of making a hearty and delicious soup like Broccoli and Cheese Soup can seem daunting. Finding the right gluten-free substitutes for wheat flour can be tricky, but there are some great options available. Here’s a look at some of the best gluten-free substitutes for wheat flour in a soup like Broccoli and Cheese Soup.
- Arrowroot Starch: Arrowroot starch is a great gluten-free alternative to wheat flour, as it provides a similar texture and flavor. Additionally, it’s easy to use and doesn’t require any additional steps for preparation. Just be sure to use arrowroot starch and not arrowroot powder, as the latter is not a good substitute for wheat flour in soups
- Potato Starch: Potato starch is another excellent gluten-free substitute for wheat flour in a soup. It will provide a thickening effect similar to wheat flour, but it won’t leave a grainy texture in the soup. Potato starch also absorbs and holds onto liquid better than wheat flour, which can make it a good choice for soups
- Tapioca Starch: Tapioca starch is a great substitute for wheat flour in soups, as it has a mild flavor and will give the soup a creamy texture. It’s also easy to work with and won’t require any additional steps for preparation. However, it’s important to note that tapioca starch doesn’t provide the same thickening power as wheat flour, so you may need to use more of it in your soup
- Corn Starch: Corn starch is another great gluten-free substitute for wheat flour in a soup. It has a mild flavor and helps to thicken the soup. Additionally, it’s easy to work with and won’t require any additional steps for preparation
Overall, there are plenty of gluten-free alternatives to wheat flour that can be used in a soup like Broccoli and Cheese Soup. Arrowroot starch, potato starch, tapioca starch, and corn starch are all great options for making a delicious gluten-free soup. Just be sure to use the right amount of each ingredient to get the desired texture and flavor. With a bit of experimenting, you can make a delicious gluten-free Broccoli and Cheese Soup that your whole family will love.