Summertime Bliss: Heirloom Tomato Salad
I have a special place in my heart for the summertime tradition of making Heirloom Tomato Salad. Growing up, my grandmother would make it for us every year, and it was always the highlight of our summer family dinners.
The combination of juicy heirloom tomatoes, tangy vinegar, and fresh herbs always has a special way of making me feel like I’m back at my grandmother’s kitchen table.
This simple but delicious salad is the perfect way to celebrate summer’s bounty and enjoy a taste of nostalgia.
Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe
- 1. 3 large heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 2. 3 small heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 3. ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4. 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 5. 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 6. ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- 7. Kosher salt to taste
- 8. Ground black pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the large and small heirloom tomatoes into quarters. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, rice wine vinegar, finely chopped rosemary, and dried oregano. Mix together until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and mix together gently.
- Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve the Heirloom Tomato Salad and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 of the salad
- Calories: 57
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Sugar: 0.5g
Heirloom tomato salad recipes: a collection of delicious and easy recipes for every occasion
Heirloom tomatoes are a flavorful and delicious addition to any meal, and a great way to add a burst of color to any salad. From light and refreshing options for summer days to robust and hearty options for winter evenings, there’s an heirloom tomato salad recipe for every occasion. Here are some of our favorite recipes that are sure to please any crowd!
For a light and fresh summer salad, try our Heirloom Tomato, Arugula, and Feta Salad. This salad is full of flavor and nutrients, with a light and tangy dressing to bring it all together. Heirloom tomatoes are sliced and combined with fresh arugula, feta cheese, and a simple dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey.
For something a bit heartier, try our Heirloom Tomato, Spinach, and Chickpea Salad. This salad is packed with protein and fiber, thanks to the addition of cooked chickpeas. Heirloom tomatoes are diced and combined with fresh spinach, chickpeas, and a creamy dressing of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and dill.
For a unique and flavorful salad, try our Heirloom Tomato, Avocado, and Pesto Salad. This salad is full of fresh ingredients and herbs, giving it a unique flavor. Heirloom tomatoes are diced and combined with fresh avocado, basil pesto, and a light vinaigrette of olive oil and lemon juice.
Finally, for a sweet and savory salad, try our Heirloom Tomato, Peach, and Pecan Salad. This salad is the perfect combination of sweet peaches and nutty pecans, balanced out by the tangy flavor of heirloom tomatoes. Heirloom tomatoes are diced and combined with fresh peaches, pecans, and a sweet and savory dressing of olive oil, honey, and balsamic vinegar.
These delicious and easy heirloom tomato salad recipes are sure to please any crowd. From light and refreshing options for summer days to robust and hearty options for winter evenings, there’s an heirloom tomato salad recipe for every occasion.
Heirloom tomato salad toppings: exploring the best toppings for a delicious and flavorful salad
Heirloom tomatoes are a delicious and flavorful addition to any salad, and there are a variety of toppings that can be added to create a unique and flavorful dish. Topping options for a heirloom tomato salad can range from nuts and seeds to vegetables, herbs, and other flavorful ingredients. Here are some of the best toppings to consider when making a heirloom tomato salad:
- Nuts and Seeds: Adding nuts and seeds such as walnuts, pine nuts, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds can add a nice crunch to the salad and provide an extra burst of flavor.
- Vegetables: Topping a heirloom tomato salad with vegetables such as sliced cucumbers, peppers, onions, and garlic can add a refreshing crunch and flavor.
- Fruits: Heirloom tomato salads can also be topped with fruits such as oranges, apples, and pears for a sweet and tangy contrast to the tomatoes.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, and parsley can provide a fragrant and flavorful addition to the salad, and can also be used as a garnish.
- Cheese: Topping a heirloom tomato salad with cheese such as feta, ricotta, or goat cheese can provide a creamy and salty contrast to the tomatoes.
By exploring different topping options, it is possible to create a delicious and flavorful heirloom tomato salad that is sure to be enjoyed. With these topping suggestions, you can create an incredible salad that is sure to please any palate.
Benefits of heirloom tomato salads: highlighting the health and nutrition benefits of heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom tomato salads are incredibly nutritious and beneficial for your health.
- Rich in antioxidants: Heirloom tomatoes are packed with antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as cancer and heart disease.
- High in vitamins and minerals: Heirloom tomatoes are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, and iron.
- Low in calories: Heirloom tomatoes are low in calories, making them a great choice for weight loss or maintenance.
- High in fiber: Heirloom tomatoes are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy and regulate your blood sugar levels.
- Natural source of lycopene: Heirloom tomatoes are a natural source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce inflammation and protect against certain types of cancer.
- Versatile: Heirloom tomatoes are incredibly versatile, and can be enjoyed in many different dishes, from salads and sandwiches to soups and sauces.
- Delicious: Heirloom tomatoes are incredibly flavorful and delicious, making them a great addition to any meal.
How to pick the best heirloom tomatoes for your salad: tips and tricks for selecting the best tomatoes for your salad
Start by looking for heirloom tomatoes that are firm and plump. Avoid tomatoes that are too soft or have blemishes.
- Select tomatoes of a variety of shapes and sizes to create a more interesting salad.
- Look for tomatoes that are not only aesthetically pleasing, but also have a good flavor. Ask your local produce store for advice on which heirloom tomatoes have the best flavor.
- Choose heirloom tomatoes that are in season for the best flavor and texture.
- Opt for tomatoes that are grown organically or naturally, as these will likely have the best flavor.
- Avoid tomatoes that have been waxed, as this can affect the flavor.
- If you’re looking for tomatoes with a lower acidity, look for varieties such as Brandywine or Cherokee Purple.
Heirloom tomato salad presentation: creative ways to make your salad look as good as it tastes
When it comes to presenting a delicious heirloom tomato salad, the presentation can be just as important as the taste. Here are some creative ways to make your salad look as good as it tastes.
One of the easiest ways to make your heirloom tomato salad look more appetizing is to arrange the tomatoes in a circular pattern. Start with the largest tomatoes in the center and work your way outwards with the smaller ones. This will create a beautiful centerpiece for your salad.
You can also add a few slices of avocado to your salad for a bit of added color and flavor. Place them in between the tomatoes for a look that is both visually pleasing and delicious.
To further enhance the presentation, consider adding some fresh herbs like basil or oregano. Sprinkle these herbs over the top of the salad to give it an extra layer of flavor and an added touch of color.
Finally, finish off the presentation with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. This will tie all of the flavors together and make the salad look even more inviting.
By following these simple tips, you can easily make your heirloom tomato salad look as good as it tastes. With a little creativity and effort, you can create a salad that everyone will love.