I remember the first time I ever made a pie crust. I was so nervous! But it turns out, blind baking a pie crust is actually pretty easy.
How to Blind Bake a Pie Crust
2 to 4 servings
- 1 pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove frozen pie crust from freezer and place on baking sheet lined with foil.
- Place another piece of foil over crust, making sure it is pressed against the sides and bottom of the crust so that there are no gaps. You may need two sheets of foil to get full coverage.
- Fill the pie crust to the top with pie weights (sugar works well because of its small granule size).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes if you will be cooking the pie further, or 60-75 minutes if the pie does not require any additional baking time after this step.
- Remove from oven and use excess foil on two sides of the shell to lift out the weights from the shell, let cool before storing for future use.
How long does it take to blind bake a pie crust?
How long does it take to blind bake a pie crust? It takes 20 minutes to blind bake a pie crust.
What is the procedure for a blind baked pie shell?
Blind baking a pie crust is simple and only requires a few steps. First, preheat the oven to 425F. Then, line the pie dish with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the crust begins to turn golden in color. Remove the parchment and pie weights, then continue baking for 5-10 minutes more so that the crust becomes evenly browned and crisp.
How do you blind bake a store bought pie crust?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (for partially baked crust) or 450 degrees Fahrenheit (for fully baked crust).
- Line pie crust with parchment paper or foil and fill with dry beans, rice, or sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes (partially baked) or 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-8 minutes (fully baked).
- Remove from oven and let cool before filling with desired filling.
Can i blind bake a pie crust without weights?
If you’re looking to blind-bake a pie crust, the process is pretty straightforward. However, one key element that you’ll need in order to succeed is weight. Without weights, your crust will likely puff up and become misshapen during the baking process.
There are a few different ways that you can use weights when blind baking a crust. One option is to line the bottom of the crust with parchment paper or foil, and then fill it with dried beans or rice. Another option is to use specialized pie weights, which are readily available online or at cooking stores.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to evenly distribute the weights around the circumference of the crust. This will help to ensure even baking and prevent any unwanted bubbles or wrinkles from forming.