I have a special place in my heart for Key Lime Bars. Growing up, my grandma would make them for family get-togethers, and they quickly became a favorite of mine. The sweet, tart flavor of the Key Lime filling combined with the buttery, crunchy crust is irresistible.
Key Lime Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium limes, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon double-acting baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar, and ¾ cup white sugar. Beat in 2 large eggs.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Spread the batter into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together 2 medium limes, zested and juiced, 3 tablespoons Key lime juice, 1 drop green food coloring, and 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar.
- When the bars are done baking, spread the lime mixture over the top.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with additional confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 60mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 17g
- Protein: 3g
What are the different variations of key lime bars?
Key lime bars are a delicious and easy-to-make dessert option that are perfect for summertime get-togethers. They are a sweet and tart treat that everyone loves and makes for the perfect summertime snack.
The classic key lime bar is a simple and delicious treat that is often enjoyed with a dollop of whipped cream. It consists of a graham cracker crust, a key lime filling, and a white chocolate drizzle. This classic version is a great crowd pleaser and can easily be made in advance.
For those looking to switch up the classic key lime bar, there are a few variations to choose from. One option is to add a layer of strawberry or raspberry jam to the graham cracker crust. This adds an extra layer of flavor to the bars, while still maintaining the traditional key lime flavor. Another option is to top the bars with a layer of meringue. This gives the bars a fluffy and sweet topping that adds a delightful crunch.
Lastly, it is possible to make key lime bars with a coconut crust. This version is gluten-free and adds a hint of tropical flavor to the bars. Coconut crusts pair particularly well with the tart key lime filling and can be finished with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
No matter how you choose to make the key lime bars, the end result will be a sweet and tart treat that is sure to please all summertime guests. So, the next time you are looking for a delicious summertime snack, try these variations of key lime bars and enjoy the sweet, tart flavor of summer.
What are creative ways to serve key lime bars?
Key lime bars are a tart, sweet, and creamy treat that is sure to delight your taste buds! Whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just because, there are many creative ways to serve up your key lime bars.
One creative idea is to make individual mini key lime bars. Start by cutting them into bite-size squares, or use cookie cutters to create cute shapes like stars, hearts, or circles. These mini bars are great for parties or potlucks, and they won’t take too long to prepare.
Another way to serve up your key lime bars is to layer them in a trifle dish. Start with a layer of graham cracker crumbs, then a layer of key lime bars, and then a layer of whipped cream. Keep repeating this process until your dish is full, then top it off with a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. Your guests will be impressed with this presentation!
You can also make key lime bars into a parfait. Start with a layer of key lime bars, then add a layer of Greek yogurt, some fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey. Repeat this process until the glass is full, and then top it off with a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. This is a great way to combine the tartness of key lime bars with the sweetness of honey and the creaminess of Greek yogurt.
What are the health benefits of eating key lime bars?
Key lime bars are a delicious and popular dessert choice. With their sweet, tart flavor, they’re a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth without compromising on health. But did you know that there are also many health benefits to eating key lime bars? Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of eating this popular treat.
- High in Vitamin C: Key limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, which helps to bolster the immune system. Eating key lime bars can help increase your daily intake of vitamin C and help keep your body healthy.
- Source of Antioxidants: Key limes are also a great source of antioxidants, which help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Eating key lime bars can help boost your antioxidant intake and help keep your body functioning at its best.
- Low in Calories: Key lime bars are lower in calories than many other desserts, making them a great choice for those watching their calorie intake.
- High in Fiber: Key limes are also a good source of fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy and your body feeling full longer.
- Low in Added Sugar: Key lime bars are typically made with natural sweeteners such as honey or agave nectar, rather than refined sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. This means that they’re lower in added sugar than many other desserts.
Overall, key lime bars are a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth without sacrificing your health. With their high vitamin C and antioxidant content, low calorie and added sugar content, and high fiber content, key lime bars can be a part of a healthy diet.
What type of occasions are key lime bars suitable for?
Key Lime Bars are a classic dessert bar that are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for the perfect summer treat, or something special for a birthday party, Key Lime Bars are sure to be a hit.
These delicious bars are light and refreshing, making them a great summertime snack. They’re made with graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sweetened condensed milk, and are then topped with a creamy lime filling and a sweet glaze. With their tart and sweet flavors, they’re sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
For a birthday party, Key Lime Bars are the perfect addition to any dessert spread. They’re easy to make and can be customized with different toppings and flavors. From colorful sprinkles to mini chocolate chips, there’s something for everyone.
Key Lime Bars can also be served as a delicious snack for any occasion. They’re a great way to switch up your snack routine and brighten up any gathering. They’re also a great option for potlucks and picnics, as they can easily be transported and served on the go.
No matter what the occasion, Key Lime Bars are sure to be a hit. With their light and refreshing flavors, they’re the perfect summertime treat, and can be customized for any event.
What is the history behind key lime bars?
Key lime bars are a popular citrus-flavored dessert bar. Originally from the Florida Keys, key lime bars have become a beloved treat for all sorts of occasions. But, what is the history behind this sweet snack?
Key lime bars are believed to have originated in the early 1900s in Key West, Florida. According to local legend, a cook named Aunt Sally developed this delicious dessert when she mixed sweetened condensed milk with the juice and zest of the local Key limes. The sweet and tart treat quickly grew in popularity and can often be found served as a special treat in local restaurants and bakeries.
Today, key lime bars are enjoyed around the world. Key limes are grown in tropical climates, including Florida, and their juice is often used to flavor drinks and desserts. The creamy, tart flavor of key lime bars has become a favorite in many households. The bars are often served as a dessert after dinner or as a snack during the day.
Key lime bars are also a popular treat for special occasions. The bright green color of the bars and their distinctive lime flavor make them a great addition to any celebration. Key lime bars can also be made at home to enjoy whenever the craving hits.
Key lime bars have come a long way since their creation in the early 1900s. While not as widely known as other desserts, key lime bars have become a beloved treat for those who enjoy the combination of sweet and tart flavors. Whether enjoyed at a restaurant or made at home, these bars will always be a favorite amongst citrus lovers.