I’m an avid seafood lover and I can’t resist trying out new recipes that focus on seafood. That’s why I was so excited when I came across Laura’s Seafood Thermidor. This recipe has everything you need for a delicious and flavorful meal. With a combination of succulent shrimp, creamy cheese sauce, and a hint of garlic, this dish is sure to tantalize your taste buds. I’m always delighted when I make this for my family, and it’s become one of our favorite dishes.
Laura’s Seafood Thermidor Recipe
- 1. ½ cup butter
- 2. 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3. ½ pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 4. ¼ pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp (30-40 per pound)
- 5. ¼ pound walleye fillets, cut into pieces
- 6. ¼ pound cooked lobster meat, broken into chunks
- 7. ¼ pound cooked crabmeat
- 8. 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 9. ½ cup dry white wine (such as Chenin Blanc)
- 10. 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of shrimp soup (such as Campbell’s®)
- 11. 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 12. 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 13. ¼ pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- 14. ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 15. ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16. ¼ cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, melt ½ cup of butter over medium heat.
- Add the green onions and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, walleye, lobster meat and crabmeat to the skillet. Cook until the seafood is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry and white wine to the skillet and cook for another minute.
- Add the cream of shrimp soup, half-and-half cream, 1 cup of the dry bread crumbs, and Cheddar cheese to the skillet and stir until everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup of bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and ¼ cup of butter.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the seafood mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: One serving
- Calories: 310
- Total Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.2g
- Protein: 17.8g
The history of laura’s seafood Thermidor
Laura’s Seafood Thermidor has been a favorite dish among seafood lovers for many years. The origins of the dish date back to the mid-19th century, when it was first created by French chef Marie-Antoine Carême. Carême had a passion for creating exquisite dishes, and his Seafood Thermidor was no exception.
The dish was initially made with lobster or crayfish, though over time, other types of seafood such as shrimp and scallops have been added for variety. The seafood is usually cooked in a creamy sauce and topped with a cheese-crumb topping. The dish is then baked until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
The dish gained popularity in the United States in the early 20th century with the creation of the iconic restaurant, Laura’s Seafood Thermidor. Founded by Laura Harrell in the 1920s, the restaurant quickly became a favorite among seafood lovers. It has since been featured in numerous books and magazines, and even has a dedicated fan base.
Today, Laura’s Seafood Thermidor is still enjoyed by seafood lovers around the world. The dish has been adapted to reflect modern tastes and preferences, with a variety of variations available. No matter the variation, one thing remains constant: it’s a delicious dish that seafood lovers can’t get enough of.
How to select fresh seafood for laura’s seafood Thermidor
When selecting fresh seafood for Laura’s Seafood Thermidor, it is important to consider the type of seafood, the freshness of the seafood, and the size of the seafood. Here are some tips for selecting fresh seafood for the dish:
- Type of Seafood: Depending on the recipe, Laura’s Seafood Thermidor may require different types of seafood such as lobster, shrimp, scallops, clams, and mussels. When selecting seafood, make sure to choose seafood that is fresh and of good quality.
- Freshness: Fresh seafood should be odorless and firm to the touch. When selecting seafood, make sure to check the expiration date and look for any signs of spoilage.
- Size: The size of the seafood should depend on the recipe and the number of servings. If the recipe calls for large pieces of seafood, make sure to select seafood that is of similar size. If the recipe calls for small pieces of seafood, select smaller pieces that are of similar size.
Following these tips will ensure that the seafood for Laura’s Seafood Thermidor is fresh and of good quality.
Tips for cooking laura’s seafood thermidor for maximum flavor
Start with high-quality ingredients: Seafood Thermidor is all about the quality of the ingredients, so make sure to use the freshest and best seafood available.
- Pre-cook the seafood: Pre-cook the seafood before adding it to the Thermidor. Use a light seasoning of salt and pepper, and a bit of butter or olive oil to help the seafood cook evenly.
- Use the right cheese: For the cheese topping on the Thermidor, use Gruyere or a similar high-quality cheese. This will help to add a rich, creamy flavor to the dish.
- Bake at the right temperature: For best results, bake the Thermidor at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes. This will help to ensure that the seafood is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the Thermidor rest: Once the Thermidor is finished, let it rest for five to 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to develop and the cheese to set.
- Serve with a side of vegetables: Serve the Thermidor with a side of vegetables such as steamed broccoli or green beans. This will help to add color and a nutritional boost to the dish.
Benefits of eating laura’s seafood thermidor
- Laura’s Seafood Thermidor provides several key benefits:
- Heart Health: The dish contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to reduce inflammation and the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Improved Mood: The omega-3 fatty acids contained in Laura’s Seafood Thermidor have been known to improve mood and reduce anxiety.
- Better Digestion: The combination of seafood and vegetables in Laura’s Seafood Thermidor provides a good source of dietary fiber, which can help with digestion.
- Increased Energy: The protein content in Laura’s Seafood Thermidor provides energy that can help boost your energy levels throughout the day.
- Rich Taste: The combination of seafood and creamy sauce makes for a unique and delicious experience.
- Convenience: Laura’s Seafood Thermidor is easy to prepare and can be served as a meal or a side dish.
Creative variations on laura’s seafood thermidor
Creative variations on Laura’s Seafood Thermidor can enhance the traditional dish with different flavors and textures. Seafood Thermidor is a classic French dish that includes a creamy sauce, seafood, and cheese. To create a unique twist on the traditional dish, try these variations.
First, you can add a variety of vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions to the recipe. This will add an earthy flavor and considerable texture to the dish.
Second, you can replace the traditional seafood ingredients with a different type of seafood such as salmon, shrimp, or scallops. This will give the dish a unique flavor profile and add a richness to the dish.
Third, you can experiment with different kinds of cheese. Try adding brie, gouda, or blue cheese to give the dish a creamy and flavorful finish.
Finally, you can top the dish with a variety of herbs and spices. Try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper, paprika, or thyme for a flavor kick.
With these creative variations, Laura’s Seafood Thermidor can be taken to the next level. Whether you want to add a variety of vegetables, switch up the seafood, experiment with different kinds of cheese, or top the dish off with herbs and spices, these variations can help you create a unique and delicious spin on the dish.