Make Your Pie Crust Perfect Every Time With This Lattice Top Technique!
- 1 batch of pie dough, enough for top and bottom crusts
- Before starting the lattice top, roll out half of your pie dough and line your pie dish with it. The dough should extend beyond the rim of the pie dish by about 1/2 inch. Put it in the refrigerator to chill while you work on the lattice.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the other half of your pie dough to the same extent as the first half (about 3 inches beyond the diameter of your pie dish). It’s easier to work with the dough if it is chilled, so if it has softened too much, put a rolled-out piece on a flat cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes.
- Cut dough into even strips, 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide, depending on how thick you want lattice strips, use blunt knife with or without ruler or straight edge to guide you, or pizza wheel or pastry wheel if you have one.
- Fillpie shellwithpie filling Lay out 4–7 parallel stripsdoughon topfillingwith about 1/2 inch to 3 / 4 inch space between them
- Fold back every other strip
- Place one long stripdoughperpendicularto parallel stripson Un.
How to make a lattice top on a pie
- To make a lattice top on a pie, you will need to prepare the dough and cut it into even strips.
- Fill your pie with the desired filling, then lay down the strips of dough.
- Start weaving the cross strips by folding and weaving them parallel to each other until all the strip are used up.
- Trim off excess dough, then crimp edges before bakingUntil browned.
The benefits of using a lattice top technique when baking pies
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified in your recipe.
- Roll out your pie crust dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Use a floured rolling pin to avoid sticking, and be sure to flour your work surface as well.
- Cut the dough into strips of equal width using a sharp knife or pastry wheel. The number of strips will depend on the size of your pie plate – for a 9-inch pie plate, you’ll need about 10 strips total.
- Arrange half of the dough strips evenly over the top of the pie filling, spacing them out so that there are gaps in between each strip.
- Fold back every other strip halfway, then lay down a second row of perpendicular strips on top of the first row, aligning them with the gaps (this second row will go over every other strip).
How to achieve the perfect lattice top every time
To achieve the perfect lattice top every time, follow these steps:
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour before beginning to roll it out. This will make it much easier to work with and prevent it from shrinking as you roll it out.
- Cut the dough into strips that are about 4-6 inches wide. The number of strips will vary depending on the size of your pie pan.
- Lay half of the strips horizontally across the top of your pie, spacing them evenly apart.
- Weave the remaining strips vertically through the horizontal ones, forming a lattice pattern.