Creamy And Dreamy Mashed Potatoes
Growing up, mashed potatoes with cream were a staple in my family’s Sunday dinners. Every week, my mom would make a big batch of creamy mashed potatoes, with just the right ratio of butter and cream. The aroma that filled the kitchen was simply irresistible. I always looked forward to the generous helpings of mashed potatoes that I could pile onto my plate. After all these years, the same recipe is still my favorite way to enjoy mashed potatoes. Today, I’m going to share with you my mom’s delicious mashed potatoes recipe.
Mashed Potatoes With Cream Recipe
- 1. 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2. ½ cup salted butter, cubed
- 3. 1 cup heavy whipping cream, or more to taste
- 4. Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the cubed butter and mash until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/4 cup (approx. 65g)
- Calories: 121
- Total fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 77mg
- Total carbohydrates: 14.6g
- Dietary fiber: 1.7g
- Sugars: 0.9g
- Protein: 1.8g
Creative ideas for topping mashed potatoes with cream
Adding cream to mashed potatoes is an easy way to jazz up a classic side dish. There are many creative ideas for topping mashed potatoes with cream that can make a simple dish more exciting. From savory to sweet, here are five topping ideas for mashed potatoes with cream.
- Bacon and Chives: Adding crumbled bacon and chopped chives to mashed potatoes with cream creates a savory and flavorful combination.
- Caramelized Onions and Roasted Garlic: For a unique twist on mashed potatoes with cream, top them with caramelized onions and roasted garlic. This combination adds a sweet and smoky flavor to the dish.
- Parmesan and Parsley: Topping mashed potatoes with cream and a sprinkle of fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese creates an Italian-inspired side dish.
- Herbs and Spices: For a spicier version of mashed potatoes with cream, top them with a combination of herbs and spices such as rosemary, thyme, cumin, and chili powder.
- Honey and Cinnamon: For a sweet and creamy mashed potato dish, top with a drizzle of honey and a dash of cinnamon. This combination will add a subtle sweetness to the potatoes.
These five topping ideas for mashed potatoes with cream are sure to take your classic side dish to the next level. Whether you’re looking for something savory, sweet, or spicy, one of these creative topping combinations is sure to please.
Variations to make mashed potatoes with cream unique
Mashed potatoes with cream is a classic dish that can be modified to create unique variations. There are a few simple ways to make mashed potatoes with cream unique and enjoyable for everyone.
One easy way to make mashed potatoes with cream unique is to add herbs and spices to the mix. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic can be added to the mashed potatoes to give them a unique flavor. Spices like garlic powder, paprika, and cumin can also be added to give the mashed potatoes a different taste. Experimenting with different herbs and spices is a great way to make mashed potatoes with cream unique.
Another way to make mashed potatoes with cream unique is to add vegetables to the mix. Carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms are all great additions to mashed potatoes with cream. These vegetables can be cooked until they are soft and then added to the mashed potatoes. The vegetables will provide texture and flavor, making the mashed potatoes with cream a unique and enjoyable dish.
Finally, adding different types of cheese to mashed potatoes with cream is another great way to make the dish unique. Cheddar, parmesan, gouda, and blue cheese all offer distinct flavors that can add a unique twist to the classic mashed potatoes with cream. Experimenting with different types of cheese will make the dish unique and tasty.
With a few simple modifications, mashed potatoes with cream can be made into a unique and delicious dish. Adding herbs and spices, vegetables, and different types of cheese can all contribute to the unique flavor of mashed potatoes with cream. Experimenting with different variations is the best way to make this classic dish unique.
Overview of the benefits of mashed potatoes with cream
Mashed potatoes with cream are a delicious and comforting side dish that offer a variety of health benefits. Below are some of the key advantages of incorporating this dish into your diet:
- High in Vitamins and Minerals: Mashed potatoes are high in vitamins C, B6, and potassium, as well as containing small amounts of iron and magnesium. These essential vitamins and minerals can help support a healthy immune system and promote healthy bones and muscles.
- Low in Calories: Mashed potatoes with cream are relatively low in calories, making it an excellent choice for those looking to manage their weight.
- Easy to Prepare: This dish is incredibly easy to prepare, allowing you to whip up a delicious and nutritious side dish in no time.
- Comfort Food: In addition to its health benefits, mashed potatoes with cream are a comforting and tasty dish that can be enjoyed as part of a nutritious meal.
How to choose the right type of potato for mashed potatoes with cream
Choosing the right type of potato for mashed potatoes with cream can be an important factor in the dish’s overall flavor and texture. Here are some tips to help you decide:
- Starchy Potatoes: Russet potatoes, also known as Idaho potatoes, are a classic choice for mashed potatoes with cream as they are starchy and will hold up better in texture.
- Waxy Potatoes: Red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, and fingerling potatoes are all waxy potatoes that are also great for mashed potatoes with cream. These potatoes will give the mashed potatoes a creamier texture.
- Floury Potatoes: Maris Piper and King Edward potatoes are the most common floury potatoes and are best used for roasted potatoes or chips.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes can be used in mashed potatoes with cream, but should be used in moderation as they have a naturally sweet flavor that can overpower the dish.
- Herbs and Spices: To add flavor to your mashed potatoes with cream, consider adding herbs and spices such as garlic, rosemary, thyme, or nutmeg.
- Milk and Cream: For a richer, creamier mashed potatoes with cream, consider adding some whole milk or cream.
- Butter: Adding butter to the mashed potatoes is essential for flavor and texture, but use in moderation to avoid overpowering the dish.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can choose the right type of potato for mashed potatoes with cream and make a dish that everyone will love.
Tips for making the perfect mashed potatoes with cream
Start by boiling potatoes in salted water until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add a generous amount of cream to the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Use a whisk to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Add butter and seasonings, such as salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the mashed potatoes with cream and enjoy!.
Tips for Making the Perfect Mashed Potatoes With Cream:
- Use starchy potatoes such as russet or Yukon Gold for the best texture.
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender to ensure they mash easily.
- Use a whisk to whip air into the potatoes for a light and airy texture.
- For a richer flavor, add garlic, chives, or herbs to the potatoes.
- Use a high-quality cream for the best flavor.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste before serving.