I love this dish because it’s so easy to make and so flavorful. It’s the perfect weeknight meal when you’re short on time but still want something delicious. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover veggies you have in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 canned anchovies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (1 Tbsp of salt for every 2 quarts of water). While the water is heating, start making the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep sauté pan. When the oil is hot, cook the onions until they’re soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, stir in the chopped anchovies along with some of the oil from the can.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and cook another minute. Mix in the tomato paste and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, chili pepper flakes, olives, and capers. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower th4e heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- , Meanwhile when salted pasta water is at rolling boil add pasta,. Cook according package instructions al dente or cooked but still slightly firm.. Drain pasta into large bowl .If desired mix in little olive so pasta doesn’t stick together.
- Add parsley INTO PASTA SAUCE ..Ladle’s worth of sauce mixed with pasta plus more for serving later.
Why is pasta called puttanesca?
There are a few theories as to why pasta is called puttanesca. One theory is that the name derives from the Italian word puttana, which means whore. Puttana in turn arises from the Latin word putida, which means stinking. Some corners of the Internet will tell you thatputtanesca earned its name because prostitutes could easily cook it up between clients. Another theory is that the name simply refers to the fact that this type of pasta is easy and quick to make.
So which one is true? Unfortunately, there’s no definitive answer.
How do you make pasta puttanesca?
- Start by heating olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chili flakes (if using) and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Then add olives, capers, and anchovies and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Finally, add cooked pasta to the pan and toss everything together.
What ingredients are in pasta puttanesca?
If you’re a fan of strong, robust flavors, then Pasta Puttanesca is definitely for you. This classic dish combines anchovies, olives, garlic, chile flakes, tomatoes, and capers to create a truly unique flavor profile. And because it’s so easy to make (it only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish), it’s the perfect weeknight meal.
What does pasta puttanesca taste like?
Pasta Puttanesca is a classic Italian pasta dish that is known for its bold and unique flavor profile. The dish gets its savory taste from the tomatoes and oil, with a sweet kick from the olives and anchovies. The sauce is traditionally salty, which makes it a favorite among pasta lovers.