Sausage Breakfast Casserole: The Best Way to Start Your Day!
This sausage breakfast casserole is one of my favorite recipes to make on weekends. It’s easy to prepare, and the leftovers always taste great. I usually make it with hot sausage, but you could use any kind of sausage that you like. The casserole is also a great way to use up any leftover bread that you have around.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 cups cubed day-old bread (such as rustic French or Italian loaf), cut into 3/4 to 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, optional
- 1/2 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes , optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, drain fat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, dry mustard, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Add cubed bread and mix well, let soak for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked sausage, cheddar cheese, mushrooms (if using), and tomatoes (if using).
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, bake for 60 minutes or until firm in the center and golden brown on top.
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 590
- Fat: 41 g
- Saturated fat: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 327 mg
- Sodium: 1369 mg
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Protein: 34
What are some of the best egg casseroles to make for breakfast?
When it comes to breakfast casseroles, eggs are a versatile and delicious option. Whether you’re looking for something savory or sweet, there’s an egg casserole recipe out there for everyone. Here are just a few of the best options:
Sausage Breakfast Casserole: This hearty dish is perfect for big appetites. It’s packed with sausage, veggies, and cheesy goodness – all topped off with a fluffy layer of eggs.
Hash Brown Casserole: A classic favorite, this dish is always a hit. It’s simple to make and can be tailored to your liking with different toppings like bacon, cheese, or green onions. Plus, who doesn’t love hash browns?
French Toast Casserole: If you’re in the mood for something sweet, this casserole is for you. Made with bread soaked in a cinnamon-spiced egg batter and baked to perfection, it’s sure to start your day off on the right foot.
How do you make a sausage breakfast casserole?
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add scallions, red pepper, and cheese to the casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the casserole dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are firm and golden brown on top.
What are some of the benefits of eating a sausage breakfast casserole?
Some benefits of eating a sausage breakfast casserole include the following:
- Pork contains selenium, which is vital to health.
- Eggs are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which help prevent heart disease.
- Spinach is a great source of iron.