Tastebud-Tantalizing Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
I’ve been making these shredded chicken enchiladas for years and they always turn out delicious. The combination of the warm and spicy flavor of the enchilada sauce, the juicy shredded chicken, and the melted cheese make for a complete, flavorful meal. Once you take that first bite, you won’t be able to stop! Trust me – these enchiladas are simply irresistible.
Shredded Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Cooking spray
- Olive oil
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Shredded cooked chicken breasts
- Green salsa (such as Frontera® Tomatillo)
- Sour cream
- Chopped green chile peppers
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the green salsa and stir to combine.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream and chopped green chile peppers.
- Set aside.
- To assemble the enchiladas, spoon a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto each flour tortilla and roll up tightly.
- Place the enchiladas seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 17g
- Sodium: 420mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg
How can i make healthy shredded chicken enchiladas?
Making healthy shredded chicken enchiladas is easy and delicious! To start, you’ll need to prepare your chicken by either poaching or baking. If you choose to poach, simply place the chicken breasts in a large saucepan, cover with chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 8-10 minutes. Once cooked, shred chicken with two forks, set aside.
Next, you’ll want to make the enchilada sauce. Start with a combination of olive oil, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano in a large saucepan. Saute for several minutes until the onion is softened and fragrant. Then, add a can of tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes. Once the sauce is ready, you can assemble the enchiladas.
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil and spoon a thin layer of enchilada sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Place a warmed tortilla onto a plate, spoon a generous amount of chicken filling into the center of the tortilla, roll it up, and place it into the baking dish. Continue to fill and roll the tortillas until the dish is full.
Cover the dish with the remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro for a delicious and healthy meal.
What are the benefits of eating chicken enchiladas?
Eating chicken enchiladas provides several health benefits.
- Chicken enchiladas are a flavorful and nutritious meal that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner.
- Chicken is an excellent source of protein and is low in fat. It helps to build and maintain strong muscles and provides the body with essential amino acids.
- The vegetables and cheese used in enchiladas provide additional vitamins and minerals.
- Eating chicken enchiladas provides the body with energy and helps to keep the blood sugar levels steady.
- The combination of chicken, vegetables, and cheese also offers dietary fiber, which can help to promote healthy digestion.
- The spices used to season the dish can provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
- The combination of protein and fiber can help to keep you feeling fuller for longer, which may help in weight management.
- Eating chicken enchiladas can be a great way to get the nutrients you need while enjoying a flavorful meal.
What types of sauce are best for shredded chicken enchiladas?
When it comes to shredded chicken enchiladas, the type of sauce you choose can take your dish to the next level. There are a variety of flavorful sauces that pair perfectly with shredded chicken enchiladas. Here are the best types of sauces for shredded chicken enchiladas:
- Red Chili Sauce: Red chili sauce is a classic favorite for shredded chicken enchiladas. It adds a smoky, spicy flavor and is perfect for those who like their enchiladas with a bit of a kick.
- Green Chili Sauce: Green chili sauce has a more mild flavor than red chili sauce, making it the ideal choice for those who prefer a milder flavor. It has a slightly sweet, slightly tart flavor that pairs perfectly with the shredded chicken.
- Enchilada Sauce: Traditional enchilada sauce is a tomato-based sauce with a variety of spices. It has a rich, flavorful taste that complements the shredded chicken and adds a unique depth of flavor.
- Mole Sauce: Mole sauce is a Mexican staple that is often served with enchiladas. It is a thick, flavorful sauce made with a variety of spices and chilies. It has a slightly sweet, slightly tart flavor that adds a unique complexity to shredded chicken enchiladas.
No matter which sauce you choose, it is sure to take your shredded chicken enchiladas to the next level and make them even more delicious.
What are the best toppings for shredded chicken enchiladas?
Shredded chicken enchiladas can be topped with a variety of ingredients to create a delicious and flavorful meal. Popular toppings for shredded chicken enchiladas include cheese, avocado, tomatoes, jalapenos, black olives, onions, sour cream, and cilantro. Additionally, some people like to top their enchiladas with their favorite salsa, guacamole, or hot sauce for a little extra flavor.
Cheese is a classic topping for enchiladas and is often a staple in Mexican cuisine. Popular types of cheese to use include Cotija, Monterey Jack, and queso fresco. Avocado is also a popular topping, adding a creamy texture and flavor to the dish. Tomatoes, jalapenos, black olives, and onions are all great options for adding more color, texture, and flavor to the enchiladas.
Sour cream and cilantro are also frequently used as toppings. Sour cream adds a cool, creamy flavor to the enchiladas while cilantro adds freshness and a hint of citrus. Lastly, some people like to top their enchiladas with their favorite salsa, guacamole, or hot sauce. All of these toppings can be used to customize an enchilada dish and make it even tastier.
In conclusion, there are a variety of delicious toppings that can be used to customize a plate of shredded chicken enchiladas. Cheese, avocado, tomatoes, jalapenos, black olives, onions, sour cream, and cilantro are all great options for adding flavor, color, and texture to the dish. Additionally, people can top their enchiladas with their favorite salsa, guacamole, or hot sauce for a little extra flavor.
What side dishes go well with shredded chicken enchiladas?
Shredded chicken enchiladas are a classic Tex-Mex dinner dish. They are easy to make and are usually served with a variety of sides. The best side dishes to pair with shredded chicken enchiladas vary depending on personal preference, but popular options include Spanish rice, black beans, refried beans, corn, guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo.
A classic accompaniment to enchiladas is Spanish rice. This simple dish combines cooked long-grain rice with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and seasonings. The result is a flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with enchiladas.
Black beans are a classic South American side dish that goes great with shredded chicken enchiladas. They are full of dietary fiber and protein, making them a nutritious addition to any meal. For a more flavorful dish, try adding diced onion, garlic, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Refried beans are a Mexican staple that pairs well with enchiladas. They are made by mashing together cooked pinto beans and seasonings, then frying them in oil. Refried beans are a delicious way to add extra protein and fiber to your meal.
Corn is a popular side dish for enchiladas. It is an excellent source of dietary fiber and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Popular variations include grilled corn, roasted corn, or sautéed corn with diced onion, garlic, and peppers.
Guacamole is a creamy and flavorful Mexican dip that pairs well with enchiladas. It is made with mashed avocados, diced tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro. Guacamole is a great way to add a fresh, zesty flavor to your meal.
Sour cream is a rich and tangy topping that goes well with shredded chicken enchiladas. It is made by combining sour cream with garlic, onions, and seasonings. Sour cream adds an extra layer of flavor and creaminess to your dish.
Pico de Gallo
Pico de gallo is a Mexican salsa made with diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeños, and lime juice. It is a bright and flavorful condiment that adds a kick of heat to your meal. Pico de gallo is a great way to spruce up your enchiladas.
Shredded chicken enchiladas are a classic Tex-Mex dinner dish. They are easy to make and can be served with a variety of sides. Popular accompaniments include Spanish rice, black beans, refried beans, corn, guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo. With these sides, your shredded chicken enchiladas will be a flavorful, satisfying meal.