Having tried many chili recipes over the years, I can confidently say that my favorite is my slow cooker shredded chicken chili. This dish is easy to make, full of flavor and, best of all, it’s made with a slow cooker so it requires minimal effort. The combination of ingredients creates a chili that is packed with protein, veggies, and the perfect amount of heat. The slow cooker does the work for you, so all you have to do is let it cook and enjoy the amazing results. If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious chili, this slow cooker shredded chicken chili is the perfect choice.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers
- ½ medium onion, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- In a slow cooker, combine the chicken, chicken broth, beans, green chile peppers, onion, cream of chicken soup, cumin, coriander, garlic salt, minced garlic, oregano and brown sugar.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the chili is thick and flavorful.
- Once done, use two forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve the slow cooker shredded chicken chili with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 14g
Flavor variations: suggest different flavor variations for shredded chicken chili, such as adding different spices, herbs, and sauces.
Adding different spices, herbs, and sauces to shredded chicken chili can create a variety of flavor variations. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Spices: For some heat, add a teaspoon of cumin, a half teaspoon of chili powder, and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper. For a smoky flavor, mix in a teaspoon of smoked paprika. If you’re looking for an umami flavor, add a teaspoon of garlic powder and a quarter teaspoon of onion powder.
Herbs: Herb-wise, you can try mixing in a tablespoon of chopped cilantro and a teaspoon of oregano. For a lighter flavor, add a half teaspoon of parsley flakes.
Sauces: For a creamy, tangy flavor, mix in a quarter cup of sour cream. If you’re looking for a zesty kick, add a tablespoon of hot sauce. And for a sweet and savory flavor, try adding a tablespoon of honey.
Combining these ingredients to create your own unique flavor variation is a great way to add variety to your shredded chicken chili. With a little creativity and experimentation, you can create a delicious chili that your family and friends will love.
Serving suggestions: explore ways to serve shredded chicken chili, such as over rice, in tacos, or in a quesadilla.
When it comes to serving shredded chicken chili, the options are endless. This delicious slow cooker dish can be enjoyed in many different ways, from atop a bed of rice to tucked into a quesadilla. Here are some ideas of how to serve shredded chicken chili for your next meal.
One of the simplest and most popular ways to enjoy shredded chicken chili is over a bed of steaming white rice. The flavors of the chili work to enhance the mild flavor of the rice, while the chicken provides a hearty and satisfying texture.
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious meal, try using shredded chicken chili in tacos. This dish is a great way to add a Mexican flair to your chili. Simply spoon some of the shredded chicken chili onto a taco shell and top with your favorite toppings, such as cheese, lettuce, and salsa.
For a truly unique take on shredded chicken chili, try using it in a quesadilla. Start by spreading a layer of cheese onto one side of a tortilla, then spoon some of the shredded chicken chili onto the cheese. Place another tortilla on top and press down gently. Heat in a skillet or a panini press until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and guacamole for a truly delicious meal.
No matter how you decide to serve shredded chicken chili, you’re sure to be satisfied with the results. From classic rice dishes to tacos and quesadillas, the possibilities are endless when it comes to this delicious slow cooker dish.
Benefits of slow cooking: discuss the benefits of slow cooking for making shredded chicken chili, such as tender and flavorful ingredients, and how it can be made in advance.
Slow cooking is an excellent method for making shredded chicken chili. There are several benefits to slow cooking shredded chicken chili, including:
- Tender and Flavorful Ingredients: Slow cooking allows the ingredients to be cooked slowly and at a low temperature. This helps to break down the tough proteins and fibers in the chicken and vegetables, resulting in a tender and flavorful meal.
- Make in Advance: Slow cooking also allows you to make the chili in advance. This means you can prepare the ingredients in the morning, set it to cook in the slow cooker, and have a delicious dinner ready when you get home from work or school.
- Versatility: Slow cooker shredded chicken chili is a versatile meal that can be adapted to fit any dietary needs or preferences. You can add in your favorite ingredients such as beans, corn, peppers, onions, and more.
- Cost Savings: Slow cooking is also a great way to save money. Since you can use cheaper cuts of chicken, such as shredded chicken thighs or breasts, you can get more flavor for your money.
- Nutrition: Slow cooking also helps to retain the nutritional value of the ingredients. The slow cooking process helps to break down the proteins and fibers, making them easier to digest and absorb the nutrients.
In conclusion, slow cooking shredded chicken chili is an excellent way to make a flavorful and nutritious meal. The slow cooking process helps to break down the proteins and fibers, resulting in a tender and flavorful meal. It also allows you to make the chili in advance and adapt it to any dietary needs or preferences. Additionally, it helps to save money by using cheaper cuts of chicken.
Preparation tips: share tips for properly preparing the ingredients, such as seasoning and chopping the vegetables, and how to layer them in the slow cooker.
Preparing Ingredients for Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Chili
- Season the chicken with your favorite seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and cumin are all great options.
- Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos are all great choices for this chili.
- Layer the ingredients in the slow cooker. Start with the chicken, followed by the vegetables and then the canned ingredients.
- Stir the chili before placing the lid on the slow cooker and setting it to cook.
- If desired, top the chili with freshly chopped cilantro or queso fresco before serving.
Leftovers: discuss how to store leftovers, such as freezing in portions, and creative ways to repurpose them, like using them as a topping for nachos.
Leftovers can be a headache to deal with, but with proper storage and creative repurposing, they can become a delicious addition to your meal rotation. To store leftovers, such as Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Chili, it is best to divide them into separate, airtight containers and freeze them in portions. This prevents food from becoming soggy and will also extend its shelf life.
When it comes to repurposing leftovers, the sky is the limit. One creative way to use leftovers, such as Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Chili, is to use them as a topping for nachos. Simply heat them up and use them as a topping for your favorite chips. You can add additional toppings such as jalapeños, shredded cheese, and sour cream to make them even more delicious. The same can be done with soups and stews, too.
Leftovers can also be used to create new meals. For example, you can use leftover Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Chili to make a delicious burrito. Simply warm the chili and add it to a soft tortilla wrap with your favorite toppings and you have a quick and easy meal. You can also use leftovers to make a taco salad, quesadillas, or enchiladas.
Leftovers can be a lifesaver when it comes to busy weeknights. With proper storage and a bit of creativity, you can turn them into a delicious meal that everyone will love.