I love shrimp and pesto, so when I found this recipe for Summery Shrimp with Pesto I was thrilled! This dish is the perfect mix of fresh and zesty flavors that will brighten up any meal. The combination of succulent shrimp, fragrant basil pesto, and juicy tomatoes is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Summery Shrimp With Pesto Recipe
- 1. ¾ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2. 2 tablespoons butter
- 3. 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4. 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 5. 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or more to taste
- 6. 6 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 7. 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick, or more to taste
- 8. ½ (12 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 9. 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 10. 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or more to taste
- 11. ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 12. ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 13. 2 tablespoons water, divided, or as needed
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the angel hair pasta and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, and scallion whites and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Add the zucchini slices, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the water. Stir to combine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Toss to combine.
- If the mixture seems dry, add the remaining tablespoon of water.
- Divide the pasta among four plates and top with the scallion greens. Serve warm.
- Serving size: 1 plate
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 120mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 8g
Preparing shrimp for summery shrimp with pesto
Preparing shrimp for Summery Shrimp With Pesto is easy and can be done with little effort. To ensure the optimal flavor, it’s important to properly clean and season the shrimp before cooking.
To begin, you’ll need to de-vein the shrimp. This is done by making a shallow cut along the outside curve of the shrimp and then gently pulling out the vein with a small paring knife. After the vein is removed, you can rinse the shrimp with cold water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
Next, season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices of your choice. If you’re using a marinade, leave the shrimp to sit in the marinade for at least an hour.
Finally, you can cook the shrimp. To do this, heat a non-stick pan over high heat and then add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.
Once the shrimp is cooked, you can add it to your Summery Shrimp With Pesto dish and enjoy! With these simple steps, you can easily prepare shrimp for any dish to ensure optimal flavor.
Benefits of pesto
Pesto is a delicious and versatile condiment that can be used to add flavor and nutrition to a variety of dishes. Pesto is made up of olive oil, basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts, making it a flavorful and nutrient-dense condiment. Here are some of the benefits of pesto:
- Pesto is a great source of healthy fats from the olive oil and pine nuts, as well as vitamins and minerals from the basil and garlic.
- Pesto is low in calories and carbs and high in protein, making it a great healthy condiment.
- Pesto is a great source of antioxidants, which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Pesto can be used as a dip, spread, sauce, or dressing.
- It can be used to add flavor to pastas, pizzas, sandwiches, fish, and more.
- Pesto can be easily customized with different types of herbs, cheeses, and nuts.
- Pesto has a savory and nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with shrimp.
- The basil provides a bright, herby flavor that complements the sweetness of the shrimp.
- The garlic, Parmesan, and pine nuts add a rich and creamy flavor.
Pesto is a great condiment to pair with shrimp because it is healthy, versatile, and full of flavor. It can be used to add nutrition and flavor to a variety of dishes, and it pairs perfectly with shrimp.
Tips for making the perfect pesto
Start with fresh ingredients such as basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil.
- Use a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients into a pesto sauce.
- Choose a good quality olive oil for the pesto, as this will greatly affect the flavor.
- Add additional ingredients to create a unique flavor such as sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts or capers.
- Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes in a dry skillet for a richer flavor.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese before adding it to the pesto for a smoother texture.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Use the pesto as a marinade for the shrimp or mix it with cooked pasta.
Achieving the perfect summery shrimp with pesto
Achieving the Perfect Summery Shrimp With Pesto requires careful planning and preparation. The dish can be served as an appetizer or main course and is sure to delight any palate. To ensure a flavorful and delicious dish, there are three key elements to consider: texture, flavor, and presentation.
When it comes to perfecting the texture of the shrimp, it’s important to not overcook them. The key is to cook them until they are just done, which is usually about 3-4 minutes. Undercooking the shrimp will leave them rubbery, while overcooking them will turn them tough. To achieve the perfect texture, use a medium-high heat and watch the shrimp carefully.
One of the best parts of this dish is the flavor. To bring out the most flavor, use a good quality pesto. Make sure to add enough pesto to coat the shrimp well, then season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add other ingredients such as garlic, herbs, or lemon juice for extra flavor.
Finally, presentation is key to making a beautiful dish. To plate the Summery Shrimp With Pesto, start by arranging the shrimp on a plate. Then, drizzle the pesto over the shrimp and add a few sprigs of fresh herbs for a pop of color. You can also top the dish with toasted pine nuts or Parmesan cheese for a delicious finishing touch.
By following these steps, you can achieve the perfect Summery Shrimp With Pesto. The key is to pay attention to texture, flavor, and presentation. With a bit of practice, you can make this dish a regular on your dinner table.
Pairing summery shrimp with pesto
Pairing Summery Shrimp With Pesto is a breeze! This is because the flavors of the pesto and shrimp are light, summery, and versatile. To complete the meal, pair the dish with sides like a green salad, grilled vegetables, or cauliflower rice. Drinks like a crisp white wine or a light, bubbly rosé are excellent accompaniments. For a finishing touch, top the dish with a sprinkle of feta cheese or toasted pine nuts.