I love tacos, and I especially love making them at home with fresh ingredients. Tilapia tacos with salsa verde have become one of my favorite recipes to make. The combination of the flaky fish, crunchy taco shells, and bright green salsa verde make for a delicious, flavorful dish that is sure to impress. Plus, it’s easy to make and takes less than 30 minutes start to finish. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for a quick weeknight meal, this recipe is sure to satisfy.
Tilapia Tacos With Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds skinless tilapia fillets
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and leaves chopped
- ½ bunch radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 stalks scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and the coriander. Add the tilapia fillets and stir to coat evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange the tilapia fillets in a single layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the water, remaining 3 tablespoons of lime juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas in a skillet over medium heat. Turn once to warm both sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cilantro, radishes, scallions, jalapeno, butter, and cabbage.
- Remove the tilapia from the oven and flake into small pieces.
- To assemble the tacos, divide the tilapia among the tortillas. Top with the cabbage mixture, avocado, and salsa verde. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Calories: 217
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Sodium: 94 mg
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
What are some creative ways to serve salsa verde?
Tilapia tacos with salsa verde are a delicious and easy meal option that can be enjoyed by everyone. The bright and tangy salsa verde is the perfect accompaniment to the mild, flaky fish in the tacos, but it can also be used in other inventive ways. Here are just a few creative ways to serve salsa verde and make the most out of this versatile condiment.
- Top off scrambled eggs. Add a few spoonfuls of salsa verde to your scrambled eggs for an extra zing of flavor
- Use as a dip for tortilla chips. Ditch the standard salsa and use salsa verde as a dip for tortilla chips for a unique flavor combination
- Dress up a salad. Add some salsa verde to your next salad for a delicious and tangy dressing
- Use as a marinade. Marinating your meats in salsa verde gives them a unique flavor that can’t be replicated with other marinades
- Add it to soup. Give your soup a kick by adding a few spoonfuls of salsa verde to it
- Spread it on sandwiches. Spread some onto your next sandwich or wrap for a zesty kick
- Make a salsa verde burrito bowl. Layer your favorite burrito bowl ingredients and top it off with a generous helping of salsa verde
These are just a few of the many creative ways to serve salsa verde. Get creative and try adding it to your favorite dishes for a unique flavor profile.
How can you make tilapia tacos more flavorful?
If you’re looking to spice up the classic tilapia tacos, the key is to add bold flavors. One great way to do this is to prepare a salsa verde to serve alongside your tacos. Salsa verde is a simple but flavorful sauce made from green tomatillos, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. It’s sure to give your tacos a kick of flavor that’s sure to please any palate!
Once you’ve made the salsa verde, the next step is to make sure that your tacos are well-seasoned. Start by marinating your tilapia fillets in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. This will ensure that your fish is packed with flavor. Once your fish is ready, pan-fry it until it’s golden-brown and crispy.
Finally, it’s time to assemble your tacos. Place a few pieces of fish on each warmed corn tortilla and add a few spoonfuls of salsa verde. Top your tacos with diced onions, diced peppers, and fresh cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge and a side of avocado slices, and you have a flavorful and delicious meal that the whole family will love.
What are the health benefits of eating tilapia?
Tilapia tacos with salsa verde are a delicious and nutritious meal. But did you know that tilapia is packed with a variety of health benefits? In this article, we’ll explore the health benefits of eating tilapia and why you should consider adding this fish to your weekly diet.
Benefits of Eating Tilapia:
- Tilapia is an excellent source of lean protein. It provides essential amino acids that help build and repair muscles, and it is low in saturated fat.
- Tilapia is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
- Tilapia is also rich in B vitamins, which can help boost energy levels and improve cognitive function.
- Tilapia is rich in the mineral phosphorus, which helps maintain healthy bones and teeth.
- Tilapia is a great source of selenium, which can help protect cells from damage and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Tilapia is also high in magnesium, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and promote healthy digestion.
In addition to being a nutritious food, tilapia is also very versatile. You can cook it in a variety of ways, from grilling to baking. You can also add it to salads or tacos for a delicious and nutritious meal.
Overall, eating tilapia provides a variety of health benefits. It’s low in saturated fat, rich in essential vitamins and minerals, and an excellent source of lean protein. It’s also a versatile fish that can be cooked in a variety of ways. So, make sure to add tilapia to your weekly diet and enjoy the health benefits it provides.
What kind of toppings go best with tilapia tacos?
Tilapia tacos are a tasty and healthy way to enjoy a flavorful meal. These tacos are incredibly versatile and can be topped with a variety of ingredients to create a delicious and unique meal. When it comes to choosing the best toppings for tilapia tacos, it’s important to consider the dish’s overall flavor profile and the texture of the fish.
A classic topping for tilapia tacos is salsa verde, which offers a bright and tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with the mild and flaky fish. For a bit of crunch and texture, diced red onions, jalapenos, and cilantro are always a welcome addition. For a fresh and bright flavor, diced tomatoes and cabbage add a wonderful crunch and color.
For a creamy and flavorful topping, shredded cheese and sour cream are classic options. For a more unique topping, avocado or guacamole is a great choice. Avocados are rich in heart-healthy fats and provide a creamy texture that pairs perfectly with the flaky fish. For a bit of heat, chopped jalapenos can be added to the tacos for an extra kick.
Finally, for a bit of extra flavor, a squeeze of fresh lime juice or a sprinkle of chili powder can elevate the flavor of the tacos. A drizzle of hot sauce or a dollop of salsa can also add a nice spicy kick.
Ultimately, the best toppings for tilapia tacos depend on your personal preference. With so many delicious toppings available, it’s easy to create a unique and flavorful meal with these tacos. Experiment with different flavors and textures to create a delicious and satisfying meal that you and your guests will love.
What are some substitutes for tilapia in tacos?
Tilapia tacos with salsa verde have become a popular dish in many households. The mild and flaky fish is a great protein-packed option that pairs well with a variety of toppings and sauces. But if you’re looking for an alternative to tilapia, there are plenty of other fish and vegetable options that can provide a delicious and nutritious meal.
For a fish option, try substituting cod, mahi-mahi, or flounder in place of tilapia. All three of these fish have a firm, yet tender texture that stands up well to the salsa verde. They also have a mild flavor that won’t overpower the toppings and seasonings.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, try using grilled portobello mushrooms or roasted cauliflower in place of the fish. Portobello mushrooms are hearty and savory, and they add a nice smoky flavor to the tacos. Roasted cauliflower also makes a great substitute, as it has a similar texture to the fish and it absorbs the flavors of the salsa verde.
No matter what protein you choose, adding a few toppings such as avocado, cabbage, red onions, and cilantro will help to give your tacos a boost of flavor and texture. You can also spice up the tacos by adding a bit of hot sauce or by swapping out the salsa verde for a spicier salsa.
Tilapia tacos with salsa verde are a great dish, but don’t be afraid to experiment with other proteins and toppings. There are many delicious and nutritious fish and vegetable options that can make for a great taco meal.